Setup Recommended Plugins
01: Easy Plugin Install
Install Plugins in One Click
Because our web kits are, well, effortless…we wanted to make it easy for you to install your plugins.
Simply navigate to the WordPress Dashboard, any page or post and you will find a box at the top that looks like this:
These are the recommended plugins for The Jen theme. You can click the “Begin Installing Plugins” to install all of the recommended plugins at once.
Select all the plugins, click “Install”.
Once they’re installed, click “Back”
Then, click “Begin activating plugins”.
Select all the plugins, click “Activate”.
Curious about the plugins?
Here is the purpose of each plugin:
- Instagram Feed: allows you to seamlessly integrate your Instagram account & feed on your website – displaying a beautiful full-width row of photos at the bottom of your site.
- WooCommerce: sell physical, digital & affiliate products on your website with ease!
- WordPress SEO by Yoast helps with search engine optimization through an easy user interface
- Jetpack by WordPress.com allows you to track stats and reports (this can also be replaced with a Google Analytics plugin)
Don’t want to install all of the plugins?
You don’t have to! You can click on the ones you want through the notification bar and install them individually as shown below.
02: Quick WooCommerce Setup
Quick WooCommerce Setup
Woocommerce makes it really easy to get started and configured for your particular shop needs. Simply go to WooCommerce and run the Setup Wizard.
Be sure to watch the WooCommerce 101 training for ALL the tips on setup & creating products.
(psst, this resource is found in the Guides folder of theJen.)
03: Connecting Your Instagram
Connecting & Displaying Your Instagram
The Jen is built to integrate with your Instagram & display your feed beautifully in your footer!
In order to connect your Instagram account and adjust some of the settings (such as the number of photos) watch the video or follow the steps below.
- Navigate to “Instagram Feed”
- Click the Connect Instagram Account button and follow the steps
- If you want the same look & feel as The Jen demo site, update these settings:
- number of photos: 5
- number of columns: 5
- padding around images: 0 px
(We recommend setting the number of photos equal to the number of columns to give you ONE row along the bottom)
Don’t forget to save your changes!
- Now that the account is connected & the feed is customized, you need to display the feed.
- Navigate to Appearance > Widgets
- Find “Footer Area #1”
- Place a TEXT widget there.
- Give your widget a title & within the text widget, paste the following shortcode
04: Update Permalinks
Updating Your Permalink Structure
This will update the way your links appear on your website.
Head to Settings > Permalinks
Choose whichever structure you want, we prefer “Post name” which gives your pages and posts a URL such as https://samanthamunoz.com/kits instead of https://samanthamunoz.com/?p=123
After you choose your permalink structure, click “Save Changes”.